Ditchling Barn and Green …FAQ’s

Please refer to our Barn and Green FAQ’s (below) first.

Should you have more specific questions regarding the facilities or in respect to your event then please feel free to contact us.

Who can book the Village Barn & Green?

The Barn and Green is available for anyone to book (except 16th, 18th and 21st parties which would be Residents only).

How many people does the Barn hold?

The Barn will hold approx. 80 people comfortably standing (with small dance area) or 60 – 70 seated.

How big is the main floor area?

The main floor area of the Barn is 12m long x 5m wide (39′ x 16′), excluding the counter/serving area. The toilets are in a further extension beyond the counter.

How many tables and chairs?

8 x 6ft trestle tables, 6 x 5ft round tables, and 80 silver framed, navy fabric padded banquet chairs.

What other facilities does the Barn have?

Large outside green space and small garden area.
2 toilets (one for disabled).
1 x large fridge, 1 x large fridge with small freezer.
Range cooker with 2 ovens, grill and 5-ring hob.
Kitchen area with 1.5 sink and drainer (please provide your own drying-up cloths), work surface, basic cooking utensils.
Tea and Coffee making facilities for 70 people including cups, saucers and side plates, a hot water urn, large milk jugs, sugar bowls, thermos serving jugs (please provide tea, coffee, milk, sugar and drying-up cloths).
Dinner Plates, Dinner Knives, Dinner Forks, Side Knives, Side Forks, Dessert Spoons, Dessert Forks, Soup Spoons, Dessert/Soup Bowls, Beer, Wine, Champagne and Water glasses for 70 people can be hired at small additional charge.
Electric wall heaters.
13A power sockets.
Outside 3-phase electrical socket.

Is the Barn licensed for alcohol and/or music performance?

The Barn is not licensed, so if you are going to sell alcohol, or include alcohol or music in a ticket’s price you may need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). Please contact Lewes District Council Licensing section to check if you need a TEN.

Do you charge corkage?


Can we have a wedding in the Barn or on the Green?

We are not licenced for weddings in the barn or on the green.

Can we have a marquee?

We do not provide a marquee. We generally only allow marquees on a limited selection of dates in the spring and summer. This is to protect the grass for the benefit of all other users of this public space. It is your responsibility to arrange the hire once we’ve given you permission. The marquee company may recommend up to a 5-day hire of the green to allow build on Thursday, decorate on Friday, wedding on Saturday and removal of marquee on Monday (next working day). A shorter booking may be possible by negotiation.

Can we use external caterers?

You can bring in external caterers for an event. It is your responsibility to arrange this.

Do you have a sound system?

No, we provide only the venue and the facilities listed above. There are 13A sockets for equipment. You may require a licence for the performance of music.

How late can we play music?

Music must end at 23:00, otherwise neighbours tend to complain.

Is there Wifi and/or Mobile Signal?

There is no wifi in the barn. There is also only very limited mobile phone signal available in much of Ditchling, including in the barn.


The Friends of Ditchling have Public Liability Insurance to cover us.

If you are a Commercial Hirer you must have your own Public Liability Insurance to an adequate level.

Please ensure that you are adequately insured for any items stored in the barn during your booking period – this is at your own risk.

If you have a Marquee on the Green you must provide fully comprehensive insurance to cover the structure and contents and it should include any items left overnight in the Barn, you should also consider employing security services to guard the marquee, barn and their contents.

The Friends of Ditchling will not be held responsible for any loss or damage to any personal or third party items/equipment under any circumstances.